Don’t get caught out by Building Control Back to Blog

Don’t get caught out by Building Control

Don’t get caught out by Building Control

If you love to do DIY work, you’re not alone. Every single day, thousands of homeowners set about to improve their homes. It is important that you don’t get caught out by Building Control if you are carrying out home improvement projects. Some projects fall under ‘notifiable work’.

There are some types of projects that need to be reported to Building Control or the respective body if you are carrying out the work yourself or you are employing somebody who is not a member of the Competent Work Scheme. This is to ensure that a project meets the minimum energy efficiency standards and is safely implemented. This process is not to catch you out, it is designed to keep you safe.

Projects that require you notifying Building Control

  1. Installing a new boiler, irrespective of its fuel type.
  2. Replacing or installing any oil tank or home generator.
  3. Installing a new kitchen or bathroom where upgraded plumbing and electrics is needed.
  4. Installing a new kitchen or bathroom in a room where there wasn’t one before.
  5. The installation of fixed air conditioning systems and heating ventilation air conditioners.
  6. Adding new radiators to an existing heating system.
  7. The replacement of windows, doors, no matter their glazing or type.

If you do carry out any of the projects above on your own through a DIY job or if you employ the help of a friend, family member or anybody else who is not part of the Competent Work Scheme, you should notify Building Control who will assess your finished work in terms of its safety and energy efficiency.


Projects that do not require notification

There are also several types of home project where you do not have to notify Building Control, these include:

  1. General maintenance and repair work, as well as like-for-like fixture replacements, unless they fall into any of the categories above.
  2. The installation of additional power points, including outside power sockets.

Overall, there are many  DIY projects that you can take on within your home, the overriding point is safety. In order to be as safe as possible, we recommend  that you always notify Building Control of any work within your home that is potentially dangerous or life threatening if installed or used incorrectly.

Competent Person Scheme

If you are a Competent Person, this means that you can check your own building work to ensure that it abides by building regulations. A member of the Competent Person Scheme will be able to deal with Building Control for you – this way, you do not have to notify them yourself. For this reason, we recommend that you employ a professional tradesman when it comes to carrying out notifiable work.

It’s important that you follow Building Control regulations and either employ a Competent Person or notify the work that you carry out. If you do not, you could face prosecution with a £5,000 fine and be asked to rectify any errors at your own expense.

For more information on the Competent Person Scheme, please visit Gov.uk.


The information contained within this article is strictly for guidance only.  Cost2Build recommends that you always check current sources of information in case regulations have changed. Cost2Build cannot accept any liability for miscommunication of the law in the case of a change in regulation or any action done to a property based on the information held in this article.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> 
<del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>