Internal Decorating Back to Blog

Internal Decorating

Internal decorating

In most circumstances you do not need to seek planning permission if you wish to decorate the interior of your home. However, if you wish to renovate the exterior of your property, you may need to seek planning permission, dependent on your circumstances.

Planning permission for decorating

Homeowners are free to decorate the interior of their home as much as they like without planning permission, so long as that decoration is cosmetic and not structural. You are free to:

  1. Paint and wallpaper walls.
  2. Change carpets and install wooden flooring.
  3. Replace fixtures and fittings.
  4. Install shelving, kitchen and bathroom units, furniture.
  5. Install new plug sockets.
  6. Install new glazing and doors.

In the case of glazing and doors, Building Regulations apply, and the following permitted development limitations apply:

  1. New windows and doors must be of a similar appearance to the current ones, both in construction and design.
  2. Windows that are on an upper floor side elevation must be obscure-glazed and non-opening or 1.7 metres above the floor level.

If you live in a listed property, it is highly unlikely that you will need to apply for listed building consent to paint and wallpaper walls or change carpets, although if original wooden flooring is to be replaced, you will need to apply for listed building consent. We recommend contacting Your Local Planning Authority if you live in a listed property.

Planning permission for renovations

Renovation applies to the exterior of a home. In most circumstances, you will not need to apply for planning permission if you want to paint your house or landscape the garden. However, if you live in a listed building, you will need listed building consent in order to change the character or appearance of your home. Furthermore, if your renovation is to include the updating of thermal installation, it is likely that the Local Planning Authority will require a listed building consent application.

It is a criminal offence to alter the character or appearance of a listed property where listed building consent is required. For further guidance please contact your Local Planning Authority.

For more information on internal decorating and planning permission, please visit the Planning Portal.

The information contained within this article is strictly for guidance only.  Cost2Build recommends that you always check current sources of information in case regulations have changed. Cost2Build cannot accept any liability for miscommunication of the law in the case of a change in regulation or any action done to a property based on the information held in this article.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> 
<del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>