Non notifiable electrical work Back to Blog

Non notifiable electrical work

Non notifiable electrical work

Under Part P of the Building Regulations in England and Wales, there are types of electrical work that can be carried out which do not need to be notified to Building Control.

Minor works

Part P of the 2010 Building Regulations lists the minor electrical works that can be carried out which do not need to be notified to Building Control. These are:

  1. Installing a built-in cooker, unless a new cooker circuit is required.
  2. connecting an electric gate or garage door to an existing isolator. However, installing a new circuit from the consumer unit to the isolator is notifiable.
  3. Installing prefabricated modular wiring, such as for kitchen and bedroom lighting systems that are linked by a plug and socket.

As well as these types of installation noted in the 2010 Building Regulations, homeowners are free to:

  1. Replace any electric fitting, including wall sockets, light fittings, and control switches.
  2. Add fused spurs (so long as the fused spur is not connected to an existing circuit in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors).
  3. Upgrade any equipotential bonding.
  4. Install or replace ultra low voltage cabling that is deemed not a risk to human life.

If you are unsure of whether your project involves non notifiable work, we strongly recommend that you contact your Local Planning Authority for advice.

Competent Persons Scheme

If you are going to carry out any work on your home that is deemed as notifiable, you must tell building control. Building Control will check any work to ensure that it is safe and fit for use. This can be avoided by hiring a professional or enlisting a friend who is registered under the Competent Person Scheme – Competent Persons are qualified to assess their own electrical work, and thus, Building Control does not need to be notified.

Whatever electrical work is carried out, it is vital that it is done safely and any work produced is safe to use. For more information on non notifiable building work, please visit The Planning Portal. For more information on The Building Regulations 2015, please visit The Planning Portal.


The information contained within this article is strictly for guidance only.  Cost2Build recommends that you always check current sources of information in case regulations have changed. Cost2Build cannot accept any liability for miscommunication of the law in the case of a change in regulation or any action done to a property based on the information held in this article.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> 
<del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>