Outbuilding Planning Permission Back to Blog

Outbuilding Planning Permission

Outbuilding Planning Permission

Buildings that are separated from a house are called outbuildings. In general, you do not need to apply for planning permission to construct any outbuilding on your own land. This means that you are free to construct garages, storage units, sheds and even swimming pools.
However, outbuildings are subject to certain limitations, which if exceeded will require planning permission. The limitations for outbuildings are as follows:

  1. No outbuilding may be built on land forward of the wall that forms your home’s principal elevation.
  2. All new outbuildings must be single storey, with no balconies or overhangs.
  3. Outbuildings must have a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and in the case of a building, a maximum height of 2.5 metres.
  4. The addition of a new outbuilding will not contribute towards exceeding 50% of the homes land.
  5. Homes located in National Parks must not build an outbuilding that exceeds 10 square metres if located more than 20 metres from the house.

There may be further limitations not covered above. We strongly recommend that you visit The Planning Portal for more information, as well as consulting with your Local Planning Authority prior to undertaking any work.

Listed buildings

Depending on your property, you may need to apply for listed building consent in order to build an outbuilding that is in close proximity to your house. If your outbuilding is going to affect the way your house looks, then you will almost certainly need to consult with your Local Planning Authority.

That being said, putting up a shed or garage in your back yard and out of public view is unlikely to raise any eyebrows with your Local Planning Authority. Outbuildings are classed as permitted development but you should take extra care if your property is listed.
Remember that it is a criminal offence to undertake any building work that will alter the appearance of your home without listed building consent.

For more information on outbuildings, please visit The Planning Portal.

The information contained within this article is strictly for guidance only.  Cost2Build recommends that you always check current sources of information in case regulations have changed. Cost2Build cannot accept any liability for miscommunication of the law in the case of a change in regulation or any action done to a property based on the information held in this article.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> 
<del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>